Thursday, March 14, 2013

"There Once Was a World...." March 14th

The first thing we did was go to a place called Lezajsk: Ohel Rebbe Elimelech. The girls and the boys separated during this. Basically they took all the guys to a mikveh, while the girls had a group discussion on "Woman in Judaism" We ended up talking about why girls were better though...ha


A place where you put a prayer in

Another memorial


This reminded me of the poem,"The Road Not Taken" by Robert Frost
After that, we went to another memorial. This was called the Gluglow Mass Graves. This was just so unbelievable. The grave was like never ending...I just really can't imagine all the lives that were lost. It was so sad just standing over the grave, thinking, and knowing thousands and thousands of bodies were in that one grave. I know I keep repeating the same stuff over and over, but I really really cannot imagine it. One of the things that got to me was the fact that it was behind a gas station. It was really hidden because you had to walk behind the gas station, then over a bridge, into the woods. It was just so crazy...and I'm sure there are plenty other mass graves like that. I feel like everywhere you turn or go, there's a mass grave. The country is just so grey and depressing. I don't understand how anyone could live there.
Mass Graves

Zbylitouska Gora Childrens Grave
We went to a mass grave of just children. I can't even. It was one of the things that affected me the most. Just hearing the Nazis literally put hundreds of babies in a truck and just dumped them into a huge grave in the middle of the woods and just buried them alive? How can a person do an act so cruel? Those children did absolutely nothing...they did not even get to experience life. The Nazis would also slam their heads against the very trees I was looking at when I was there. I did not see the white snow, only red blood. This is all I could think about. It's like the babies were not even  human and were treated as an object or something. Most of the Nazis did it while they were drunk because they could not even do it sober. I don't understand how a person can just go killing thousands of babies like that, then just going home to their family and kids like nothing has happened. How could a person live like that? How could someone do such cruel acts? How could someone harm an innocent child? There are so many questions that will be forever unanswered.  I  also wonder if any of those Nazi Soldiers are still alive and how they are now...like if they regret it.




No comments:

Post a Comment